2010 Commonwealth Games- 3 to 14 October 2010
Amidst all the controversies regarding the improper preparation for the Common Wealth Games, finally few days are left for the multinational sport event to be held in the capital of the country. Common Wealth Games 2010 are the nineteenth CommonWealth Games since it was first started in the year 1928 under the title British Empire Games. However, the name was changed to British Empire and Common Wealth Games in 1954, it was further changed to British Commonwealth Games in 1970 and finally in the year 1978, it got its present name CommonWealth Games. And since then, it will be the ninth time that the games are being held under the same title. Women started competing in the games firstly in the 1930 with women competing in swimming events and in the 1934, women also took part in the athletic events. It must also be noted that there is a special way of parade in the games. All the nations participating the games parades in the alphabetical order, but it also are noted that first nation in the Parade of Athletes is that nation in which the previous games were held and last to participate in the parade is the country, in which currently the games are being held. This multinational sport event comes after every four.
Prestige Issue for the Nation
However, amidst all types of controversies surrounding the effective holding of the games, now it has become the prestigious issue for the whole nation. It I the duty of every citizen of India including the Organizing Committee to help this event to be a successful event for the country. However, a lot scandals regarding improper preparation and improper use of the money by the Organizers have been highlighted by the media. But still we have to leave it as past, and tried to cooperate in every possible way to make this event a grand success for the country, as now it has not only remained games only, but a prestigious issue for the country as several countries have given hints of retreating from the event if they will not be satisfied with the facilities provided here. However, if such things happens it would be really insulting for the whole nation. So, we all should join hands to make this event an honour for the nation.
The nineteenth Commonwealth games are expected to be held from October 3 to October 14 at Delhi. It is the largest multi-nation involving sport to be held in the country, before this event our country has hosted Asian Games twice in the year 1951 and 1982 respectively. However, earlier in the year 2003 the successful conduction of the Afro-Asian games at Hyderabad, also proved the fact that India has the enough resource, infrastructure, techniques, transport, boarding and lodging resources for such events to be successfully conducted. The opening and closing ceremony of the Commonwealth Games-2010 are scheduled to behold at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium. It must be noted that India has first time got this honour to conduct this multi-nation sport event. It is also noteworthy that common Wealth Games are only second time being done in Asia. Previously they were held in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia in the year 1998. And now our country has got this privilege to conduct this event in its soil…
Sports To Be Played
The CommonWealth Games include thousands of participants participating in the different events. After Olympic Games and Asian Games Common Wealth Games is the third largest sporting event in the world. The speciality of these games is that besides other popular games like hockey, wrestling etc, it also includes some of the games that are only played in commonwealth countries like lawn ball, rugby seven and net ball. However, number of sporting events to be held at nineteenth Common Wealth Games to be held at Delhi is seventeen, in which athletes of different common wealth nations compete. The events includes Aquatics, Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Boxing, Cycling, Gymnastics, Hockey, Lawn bowls, Wetball Rugby sevens, Shooting, Squash, Table Tennis, Weight Lifting and Wrestling in which different athletes will try their luck.
There are 12 venues selected for the different sporting events to be conducted successfully. The different Venues selected for the event are Jawaharlal Nehru sort Complex, Thyagaraj Sports Complex, Indira Gandhi sports Complex, Dr.S.P. Mukherjee Swimming Stadium, Talkatora Indoor Stadium, Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium, Siri Fort Sports Complex, Dr. Karnal Singh Shooting Range, R.K. Khanna tennis Complex, Yamuna Sports Complex, Delhi University and CRPF Shooting Range, Kadarpur. However, the preparation of all these venues is at full speed and almost in its last phase.
These are the following venues:
- Jawaharlal Nehru Sports Complex
- Thyagaraj Sports Complex
- Indira Gandhi Sports Complex
- Dr. S.P. Mukherjee Swimming Stadium
- Talkatora Indoor Stadium
- Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium
- Siri Fort Sports Complex
- Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range
- R.K. Khanna Tennis Complex
- Yamuna Sports Complex
- Delhi University
- CRPF shooting range, kadarpur
- Noida Expressway (Cycling)
Schedule For The Different Events
The schedule for the different events to be manage at different venues is a s follows:
- Opening Ceremony to be held at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on 3rd October
- Closing Ceremony also expected to be held at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on 14th October
- Aquatics includes events such as Driving, Swimming and Synchronised swimming to be held at Dr. S.P. Mukherjee Swimming Stadium on 10-13 October, 4-9 October and 6-7 October respectively.
- Archery events to be held at Yamuna Sport Complex from4-10 October
- Athletics events include Track and Field, Marathan, Walk to be held at Jawaharlal Nehru Sports Complex on 6-12 October, 14 October and 9October respectively.
- Badminton to be played at Siri Fort sports Complex from 4-14 October.
- Cycling includes events Track, Road Mass Starts, Road Time Trials to be held at IG Complex on 5-8 October, 10 October and 13 October respectively.
- Gymnastics including events like artistic and rhythmic to be held at IG Sports Complex 4-8 October, 12-14 October repectively.
- Hockey to be held at Major Dhyan Chand Hockey Complex from 4-14 October.
- Lawn Bowls Jawaharlal Nehru Complex to be held from 4-13 October.
- Netball to be held at Thyagaraj Sports complex from 4-14,14 October respectively.
- Rugby Sevens to be held at Delhi University on 11-12 October
- Shooting includes events Clay Target, Full Bore, Pistol and Small Bore to be held Dr. Karnal Singh range and CRPF Shooting Range to be held on 6-13, 9-13, 5-13 October respectively.
- Squash at Siri Fort Complex on 4-13 October respectively.
- Table-tennis at Yamuna ports Complex 4-14 October
- Tennis at RK Khanna Stadium 4-10 October
- Weight Lifting at Jawaharlal Nehru Sports Complex on 4-12 October
- Wrestling at IG sport Complex on 5-10 October
The managing committee is held by Suresh Kalmadi, tough facing some serious charges extravagance and hoarding of money .But still However, it must be kept in the mind that stopping such unscrupulous activity, one has to keep in mind that now this is actually a challenge for the whole country to make this event a successful one.Share